What is JuvedérmTM Injectable Gel?
As we age, our skin changes. Over time, the natural volume of youthful skin begins to diminish as wrinkles and folds form. But, with JuvedérmTM injectable gel, you don’t have to just sit back and let it happen!
JuvedérmTM is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid—a naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps to add volume and hydration. Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. eases JuvedérmTM injectable gel under the skin to instantly restore your skin’s volume and smooth away facial wrinkles and folds, like your “smile lines” or “parentheses” (nasolabial folds—the creases that run from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth).
JuvedérmTM provides a smooth, natural look and feel so everyone will notice (but no one will know)! In fact, studies show superior results of JuvedérmTM compared to collagen-based dermal fillers.
- Almost 90% of all study volunteers who were treated with both JuvedérmTM injectable gel and another dermal filler† preferred JuvedérmTM!
- JuvedérmTM injectable gel is the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler that is proven to be safe and effective for persons of color.
With JuvedérmTM the injection process takes only about 15 minutes and results are immediate. Plus, there’s minimal recovery or downtime. So you can step into West Houston Dermatology for treatment and step right back into your life.
JuvedérmTM is indicated for injection into the mid to deep dermis for correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds). Click here to see results.
† The other dermal filler used in this study was ZYPLAST® dermal filler (bovine-based collagen).
Important JuvedérmTM treatment considerations
JuvedérmTM Ultra and JuvedérmTM Ultra Plus are indicated for injection into the mid to deep dermis for correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds). Side effects were usually mild to moderate lasting 7 days or less and included temporary injection site reactions like redness, pain, firmness, swelling and bumps. For more information, please click on the “About Safety” link, or call the Allergan Product Support line at 1-877-345-5372.
Or try our Treatment Visualizer
How JuvedérmTM works
JuvedérmTM is a “next-generation” filler. It is made from hyaluronic acid – a naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps to hydrate and add volume. Hyaluronic acid may diminish with age, contributing to the formation of wrinkles and folds. JuvedérmTM injectable gel works to correct this by restoring hyaluronic acid in your skin, helping to smooth wrinkles and folds.
A unique manufacturing process
JuvedérmTM has a unique manufacturing process that provides a high concentration of cross-linked hyaluronic acid for long-lasting results.
It also creates a smooth consistency gel that flows easily into the skin during the injection process and provides a smooth, natural look and feel—so everyone will notice (but no one will know!
Only JuvedérmTM is so smooth—other hyaluronic acid fillers currently on the market are made of granular consistency gels.
What to expect during treatment
Because JuvedérmTM injectable gel is a simple, nonsurgical wrinkle treatment, there is minimal recovery or downtime. So you can make an appointment to stop by West Houston Dermatology for treatment on the way home from work or the gym, or even while the kids are at soccer practice—and get right back to your life. Here’s what to expect when you visit West Houston Dermatology for treatment.
- Before you go: Dr. Mahoney and Judie Franks, N.P. recommend that you avoid any medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), for at least a week prior to treatment in order to reduce the risk of bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- When you arrive: If this is your first visit, Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. will ask about your medical history, including any allergies you may have or medications you may take, and will tell you more about wrinkle treatment with JuvedérmTM. JuvedérmTM injectable gel does not require an allergy test.
- Determining your treatment needs: Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. will examine the soft tissue of your face to assess the depth of wrinkles and folds to determine your treatment. JuvedérmTM injectable gel is available in two formulations – JuvedérmTM Ultra for versatility in contouring and volumizing facial wrinkles and folds, and JuvedérmTM Ultra Plus, a robust formulation for volumizing and correcting deeper folds and wrinkles. This allows Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. to better tailor treatment to your unique needs.
- Before the procedure: Although anesthesia is not required, Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. may use topical or injectable anesthesia to numb the treatment area first.
- The procedure: Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. will ease the JuvedérmTM injectable gel under your skin to augment, or fill, wrinkles and folds. Following the injection, Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. may gently massage the treated areas. The procedure is quick and easy. The injection itself usually takes only about 15 minutes.
- After the procedure: With JuvedérmTM, there is minimal recovery or downtime.
- For the first 24 hours following treatment: You should avoid strenuous exercise, excessive sun or heat exposure, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in order to help minimize the risks of temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the treatment sites. After the treatment, some temporary injection-related reactions may occur, including redness, pain, firmness, swelling, and bumps. Studies have shown that these are usually mild to moderate in nature and clear up on their own in 7 days or less. If you experience swelling at the injection site, you can apply an ice pack for a brief period. Dr. Mahoney or Judie Franks, N.P. will tell you when makeup may be applied after your treatment.
- Seeing results: You should see an immediate improvement in the treatment areas. Most patients need one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing. And one treatment could smooth your lines and wrinkles for up to 1 year! However, results may vary and correction is temporary. Supplemental “touch up” treatments may be required to achieve and maintain optimal results.